Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 99

Thread: Edited - Signature Length Poll

  1. #61
    HB Forum Owner cebula_2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2005
    Posts
    848
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not sure you should be censoring signatures at all. I know boards have rules, but the signature is a personal space that is shown on every board we post on. I don't agree with censoring signatures at all. I think as many tickers as you want should be allowed. Same wiht pictures or anything else you want to post there as long as it's not obscene...

  2. #62
    Inactive Member PrincessRuthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,054
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by judiaci:
    Here's your chance to weigh in on this one last time if you have any thoughts on signature length.

    Post your comments here:

    Please let me know the following:

    1. Do large pictures slow your downloading time?

    2. How many tickers should be allowed?

    3. How many lines of text should be allowed?

    4. Should we have a rule limiting bytes/pixels or just a general guideline?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1. No, I have a pretty fast connection.
    2. One ticker per person...the sig. is too messy with more than one
    3. No particular limit on text, but if a person a bigger picture, they shouldn't have more than 1-2 lines of text with it.
    4. No rule, just a guideline.

  3. #63
    Inactive Member colettedenali's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2004
    Posts
    426
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Tickers and photos slow down my downloading time depending on whether I am using the computer at home or at work.

    I think one ticker is quite enough.


    I hear those who want signatures they can use on multiple forums on HB. I would suggest- either AG related or neutral.

    My main issue is that I don't want to see signatures that are offensive or contain links to offensive materials.

  4. #64
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My problem with this--although good in theory--is that it's not fair to members who use other Hostboard forums. I was here long before the AG board existed. The reason I keep my avatar and signature cat-related is because it's general and doesn't relate to either board! Outlawing me from having anything except a doll-related signature would look awfully strange on the board I moderate!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Melissa, that's probably true. Perhaps "AG only" in general, but if someone else here does post on another hb board they could PM a mod, and then it would be ok? I like seeing the one about your cat, lol, and your avatar cracks me up as my cat would kill us if we tried to put clothes on it!

    I don't think there should be any restrictions on the avatars (just putting this out there now, if it becomes the next issue). But it would be nice if everyone were to resize them to more or less the size they appear to be (which is somewhere around 1 in x 1 in or 100 x 100 pixels ) as they also take time to load if they aren't resized.

    Edit: I second Colette's mention of censoring offensive links. I don't mind if people want to have links to non-AG websites or albums or boards or something, unless they're offensive to *anyone*.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 24, 2006 06:08 PM: Message edited by: cami713 ]</font>

  5. #65
    Inactive Member Melissa*Olivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    515
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    1. Do large pictures slow your downloading time?

    2. How many tickers should be allowed?

    3. How many lines of text should be allowed?

    4. Should we have a rule limiting bytes/pixels or just a general guideline?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1. No -- and like most everyone else, I LOVE the pictures.

    2. ONE -- I LOATHE the tickers! They also seem to be the main source of conflict on this topic. Please limit the tickers to ONE!!! PLEASE!!!

    3. Six

    4. General guideline -- since a lot of people don't understand about bytes and pixels.

  6. #66
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cami,

    I understand what you mean about on-topic signatures, but with Hostboard when you join, you're automatically a member of a huge online community. Many people here may not know that (it seems most members have very AG-related signatures and only participate here), but that might be what accounts for some off-topic signatures.

    I would, however, find it really odd having to ask a moderator if the signature I'm using is "okay." I've been a member seven years and hopefully have a good handle on that. [img]smile.gif[/img] (Although, I admit my signature is highly offensive to people who have ailurophobia.)

    But even for those who just participate exclusively here, I think it's cute when they have their kid or pet in their signature instead of their dolls. It helps me get to know about them or their interests better. As long as they're G-rated and a reasonable memory size/dimensions, I don't mind off-topic signatures.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 24, 2006 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

  7. #67
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Melissa,

    Hmmm. No arguing there, as surely you are right.

    However, it does seem than since most people here do post only on this board (considering that almost everyone has AG related stuff in their sigs), at least "mostly" AG related could be do-able.

    Your signature is so small that I doubt it really bothers anyone to begin with. I'm not the only one who posted "only AG" comments, [img]redface.gif[/img] . I think maybe Sara's post of "2 AG and one non-AG" should be ok, right? Although, I still think 3 is an awful lot of scrolling.

    And it's not that I *mind* seeing people's non-AG related signature items, I just don't like seeing an abundance of them. Although I find it weird to see people posting pictures of their children, most of the parents would never let their kids post pictures of themselves online, (and that goes double for when they hit the teen years).

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 24, 2006 07:03 PM: Message edited by: cami713 ]</font>

  8. #68
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Felicity Fan85 has a signature that is good for a maximum size. I put a note on it a few posts above this one. What do you think about this as a guide to start with?
    Maximum Signature Size:
    Size about 3"x5"
    4 Lines of Text
    1 Small Picture
    1 Ticker

    If you had no tickers or text, a larger picture would be OK.

    2 Tickers Maximum, regardless. Rotate as needed.

    AG related items are preferred, but not required as long as they fall within our rules.

  9. #69
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by cami713:

    No arguing there, as surely you are right.
    . . .
    I'm not the only one who posted "only AG" comments, [img]redface.gif[/img] .
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cami, I hope you didn't feel singled out . . . I'm sorry if I came across that way. [img]redface.gif[/img] I don't read all of the posts, so it was easiest for me to quote you and then say why that type of rule might not work with the way Hostboard is set up. I didn't notice that others had also said they wanted AG-only signatures. [img]redface.gif[/img]

    I hope my explanation will help members understand why some of us have off-topic signatures. I generally don't have one since I don't want the same thing on both boards I participate on.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 24, 2006 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

  10. #70
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Judi, moderators can set up polls, if that might be more helpful in finding a consensus with members. That way we can each only vote once and it might be easier to sort through to find the consensus.

    The only problem is that you'd have to ask each specific questions separately (example: One poll could ask how many tickers members should have, another would ask about image size, text length, etc.).

    If you want to do that, here's how:

    1) Click on "New Topic"
    2) At the bottom under "Options" it should say: "Poll: Check to Create a Poll With Topic Number of Poll Options: ____"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •